Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader on Saturday said that the government has taken a decision to withdraw the increased bus fare from September 1.
“The additional bus fares, which were fixed by the government amid the coronavirus pandemic, will not be taken from passengers from September 1,” he said.
Quader, also the ruling Awami League general secretary, disclosed the information while addressing a video conference from his official residence in the capital.
The government will also introduce new rules including some health guidelines for public transport across the country.
The new rules will include withdrawing the increased bus fares, mandatory use of masks for both transport workers and passengers and a halt to standing passengers.
Earlier, the government decided to allow public transport on roads on a limited scale from May 31 with 60 per cent additional fares and health guidelines.
The government took the initiative to run public transport on the roads, setting few conditions, including ensuring social distancing and maintaining health guidelines.
Earlier on 26 March, the authorities shut down public transport following the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in the country on 8 March.