April 14, 2021, 9:56 am
Reporter Name
  • Update Time : Friday, January 1, 2021,
  • 445 Time View

Sheikh Russel knocked out after Rodrigues misses penalty

Sheikh Russel Krira Chakra Limited conceded a 0-2 defeat against Chittagong Abahoni Limited in the first quarter-final of the ongoing Walton Federation Cup at Bangabandhu National Stadium (BNS) on Friday.

Ctg Abahoni’s midfielder duo Rakib Hossain and Mannaf Rabby scored one goal each in the second half of the additional time that confirmed Sheikh Russel’s exit from the tournament.

Sheikh Russel can only blame themselves for the defeat as they were rewarded with a penalty in the 70th minute but their Brazilian forward Giancarlo Lopes Rodrigues wasted the opportunity.
Ctg Abahoni’s Uzbek defender Pulatov Shukur Ali wrongfully tackled Sheikh Russel’s Nigerian midfielder Ugochukwu Obi Moneke inside the box during the 68th minute of the game.

Referee Anisur Rahman Sagor awarded Sheikh Russel with a penalty, but Rodrigues’s shot was denied by Ctg Abahoni’s goalkeeper Md Nayem.

Ctg Abahoni will now play their semi-final match against the winners of the second quarter-final between Saif Sporting Club and Mohammedan Sporting Club Limited on December 6. The second quarter-final will take place on Saturday.

Sheikh Russel got an early chance to open their account but Tajik defender Siyovush Asrorov failed to connect a header from inside the box off a free-kick Kyrgyz midfielder Baktyir Duishobekov in the 9th minute. Just after two minutes, Asrorov again slightly missed the target from a direct free kick.

The Chattogram based club started to put pressure on Sheikh Russel within next few minutes but their Ivorian forward and captain Kpehi Jean Charles Didier wasted two close chances in the 26th and 35th minutes.

Both teams tried to play more aggressive football in the second half. In the 54th minute, a powerful long range shot from Sheikh Russel’s substitute midfielder Sheikh Galibe Newaz was fisted by Ctg Abahoni goalkeeper Md Nayem while Ctg Abahani’s substitute midfielder Kawsar Ali Rabbi shot went off the target in the 65th minute.

In the 83rd minute, Rodrigues got another chance from a counter attack but Ctg Abahoni goalkeeper Nayem again denied him. Both teams remained goalless in stipulated time and the match went on additional time.

Both the teams also remained unseparated during the first half of additional time and Sheikh Russel received the first blow when Rakib scored the first goal with a perfect half-volley from inside the box utilizing a long cross from Kawsar in the 107th minute (1-0).

Midfielder Mannaf sealed the fate for Ctg Abahoni when he scored the second goal with a right-footer shot, off a long pass from captain Charles in the 113th minute (2-0).

Sheikh Russel conceded another blow just before the final whistle when Toklis Ahmed punched Ctg Abahoni’s Kawsar and received a straight red card which was also the last action of the game.

Sheikh Russel appeared on the field with all four foreigners — Nigerian midfielder Ugochukwu Obi Moneke, Kyrgyz midfielder Baktyir Duishobekov, Tajik defender Siyovush Asrorov and Brazilian forward Giancarlo Lopes Rodrigues.

On the other hand, Ctg Abahani appeared leaving behind their two key foreign recruits — Nigerian forward Idenyi Chinedu Matthew and Brazilian forward Nixon Guylherme Rocha Brizolara.

Matthew ruled out from the competition after he test positive for COVID-19 while Nixon got injured in their last group match.

Sheikh Russel earlier reached the quarters as Group A champions after they beat Bangladesh Police Football Club and Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi Club Limited by 1-0 and 3-2 margin respectively.

Please Share This Post in Your Social Media

More News Of This Category
© All rights reserved © 2020 bengal-gazette
Theme Development By Subrata Sutradhar